- Charles D., Koetsier J., McDonald D. and Fyfe C., Unsupervised Neural Networks for the Identification of Minimum Overcomplete Basis in Visual Data, Neurocomputing, 2002.
- McGlinchey, S., Charles, D., and Lai, P.L., Fyfe, C. Unsupervised Extraction of Structural Information from High Dimensional Visual Data, Applied Intelligence, 1999.
- Charles, D. Constrained PCA Techniques for the Identification of Common Factors in Data. Neurocomputing, 22:145-156, November 1998. Charles, D. and Fyfe C. Modelling Multiple Cause Structure Using Rectification Constraints. Network: Computation in Neural Systems, 9:167-182, May 1998.
- Charles, D. and Fyfe, C., Lai P.L., MacDonald, D., Rosipal, R., Unsupervised Learning using Radial Basis Kernels, In Radial Basis Function Networks: Design and Applications, ed. R.J.Howlett, 2000
- Lai, P. L., Charles, D., Fyfe, C. Seeking Independence using Biologically Inspired Artificial Neural Networks, in Developments in Artificial Neural Network Theory: Independent Component Analysis and Blind Source Separation, ed. M. Girolami 1999.
- Charles D, Fyfe C, and Extraction of Independent Causes from Video Data in Self Organising Systems, Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science, ed. N. Allinson 1999.
- Jos Koetsier, Donald MacDonald, Darryl Charles and Colin Fyfe, Exploratory Correlation Analysis, ESANN 2002.
- Charles, D., Fyfe C., Unsupervised models for processing visual data, ESANN 2001.
- Corchado E., Charles D., Fyfe C., Rectified Gaussian distributions and the formation of local filters from video data, ESANN 2001.
- Corchado E., Charles D., Fyfe C., Rectified Gaussian Distributions and the Identification of Spatiotemporal Structure in Video Data, SOCO 2001.
- Corchado E., Han Y., Fyfe C., Charles D. and Alonso L. The formation of local spatiotemporal filters using lateral connections. 9th Spanish Association for Artificial Intelligence Conference, November 14-16, 2001, Gijon, Spain.
- Jos Koetsier, Donald MacDonald and Darryl Charles, Exploratory Correlation Analysis, December 2001, ICA 2001.
- Charles, D. and Fyfe C., Kernel Factor Analysis with Varimax rotation, IJCNN 2000. MacDonald D, Fyfe C, Charles D, “Kernel Exploratory Projection Pursuit” EIS 2000
- Charles, D. and Fyfe, C., Rectified Gaussian Distributions and the Identification of Multiple Cause Structure in Data, ICANN 99, 1999.
- Fyfe, D. and Charles, C., Using Noise to Form a Minimal Overcomplete Basis, ICANN 99, 1999.
- Charles, D. and Fyfe, C., Extraction of Independent Causes from Video Data, Workshop: Self-Organising Systems – Future Prospects for Computing, UMIST, October 1999.
- Charles, D. and Fyfe, C., Noise to Extract Independent Causes, ESANN 99, Bruges, p345, May 1999
- McDonald, D., Charles, D., Fyfe, C., Neural Networks which Identify Composite Factors, ESANN 99, Bruges, p281, May 1999
- Charles, D. and Fyfe, C. Unsupervised Detection of Illusory Contours. Connectionist Models in Neuroscience, Proceedings of the 5th Computation and Psychology Workshop, 1999.
- Fyfe, C., Charles, D. and McGlinchey, S. Learning Indepentent Causes of a Visual Data Set Using the Rectified Gaussian Distribution, In Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Soft Computing, SOCO99, 1999.
- Charles, D. and Fyfe, C. Unsupervised Methods for Extracting Common Factors from Data Distributions. In Engineering of Intelligent Systems, EIS98, p468-489, February 1998.
- Charles, D. Finding Independent Components Using Principal Factor Analysis. In Independence and Artificial Neural Network Workshop, I&ANN98, p86-91, 1998.
- Charles, D. and Fyfe, C. Discovering Independent Sources with an Adapted PCA Network. In Proceeding of the Second International Conference on Soft Computing, SOCO97, p369-373 September 1997.
- Charles, D. and Fyfe, C. From Raw Data to Symbol Processing. In Eighth Ireland Conference on Artificial Intelligence, p17-22, September 1997.
- Charles, D. and Fyfe, C. Unsupervised Neural Network Methods for Extracting the Components of Movement from Video Sequences. In Irish Machine Vision and Image Processing Conference, IMVIP97, p61-68, September 1997.
- Charles, D. and Fyfe, C., Using Local-in-Time Hebbian Learning to Decipher Movement in Video Data. In Proceeding of the Second International Conference on Soft Computing, SOCO97, p363-368, September 1997.